Please take note of your desired job title and location clearly listed at the upper left, you'll need to fill that in on your employment application after you click "Apply Now"
Distribution Manager (Troup, TX)
Summary – This position is responsible for overseeing the daily operations and management of company drivers, product loading and delivery, and distribution cost. The Distribution Manager has budgetary responsibility to ensure shipments are delivered expeditiously at the lowest practical cost. Additionally, this position is responsible for the daily management of routing, driver scheduling, and interactions with customer service and production departments. This position is responsible for carrier use and performance during our peak season, by performing the following duties.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the American with Disability Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class)
Duties and Responsibilities: (These are not in any hierarchical order)
- Coordinates with multiple departments to ensure company objectives are met as they pertain to / affected by distribution decisions
- Daily management of all company drivers from recruiting, performance and compliance
- Analyzes and implements transportation carriers to be used during peak season
- Coordinates with Customer Service, Production departments and Sales regarding distribution requirements, scheduling, raw material requirements and product needs.
- Provides analysis and documents actual freight costs
- Understands, monitors, maintain reports and communicates distribution metrics
- Communicates and coordinates with subordinate supervisors, customers, functional peer groups, and senior management regarding the effects of distribution decisions on the facility and company, including analysis and/or reports regarding the budget and variance
- Supervises staff and is responsible for audit as well as all aspects of documentation requirements including log books, driver file maintenance, driver documentation is maintained according to state, federal and DOT standards
- Plans, organizes, delegates, coaches, develops, and leads employee performance on an individual and team basis
- Monitors and reports regularly on departmental performance against plan and budget
- Ensures effective plans are in place to deliver all product by season while ensuring the safety of all employees involved in the distribution process
- To ensure timely distribution of all products to our customers using either our trucks or common carriers
- Schedule and Route trucks to ensure optimal cubing and cost per mile
- Measure fill rate on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis, develop action plans to improve fill rates
- Track citations and develop action plan to reduce to zero, train drivers on compliance issues related to citation received
- Work with the production staff to ensure most efficient distribution of purchases, intercompany orders and any other non-revenue loads.
- Maintain all distribution equipment according to DOT and State regulations
- Develop and track a written PM schedule for all distribution equipment
- Ensure that all DMV and DOT needs of the equipment are met
- Manage all capital projects in the Distribution area
- Recommend budgeted expense levels to the General Manager and financial staff
- Assist in preparation of long range planning schedules and facility readiness to meet work load demand
- Communicate company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations
- Perform any other work as directed by General Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Directly supervises all drivers and dock employees
- Must carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and all applicable laws
- Responsible for recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training employees
- Plan, assign, and directing work or others
- Hold regular meetings and comply with safety regulations
- Ensure that good housekeeping is in practice daily
- Measuring and monitoring efficiencies
- Appraise performance
- Motivate employees at levels within the organization
- Rewarding and disciplining employees
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Develop others through training by proving positive and negative feedback
- Professionalism by demonstrating responsible and honest behavior in all roles and tasks
- Maintain a high level of enthusiasm and spread the sense of urgency
- Ability to treat all employees fairly and set an example for ethical behavior and effectiveness
- Ability to deal with constantly changing work demands and workforce
- Ability to cooperate and work productively with other departments
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information
Competencies- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Demonstrate attention to detail
- Identify and solve problems in a timely manner
- Respond promptly to requests
- Meet/keep commitments
- Promote quality and accuracy
- Follow Policies and Procedures
- Complete tasks correctly and on time
- Look for ways to promote and improve quality
- Apply feedback to improve performance
- Observe safety and security procedures
- Report potential unsafe conditions
- Follow instructions and directions
Qualifications- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/ or ability required.
- Minimum 2 years experience in Distribution/Traffic in a management level role
- Strong business, communication, leadership, planning and organizing, as well as conflict management skills
- Strong logistics and planning skills.
- Must be able to interact with field operations team and sales team
- Must be a skilled problem solver and be able to work in an intense environment.
- Strong knowledge of D.O.T and O.S.H.A. regulations.
- Budgeting and accounting knowledge.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with computers and all required software
- Develop and foster team environment
- Bilingual Spanish Preferred, but not required
- Ability to create and design systems to increase overall efficiency. Bring ideas to management and be able to implement changes and improvements effectively
- Ability to create and deliver performance management messages to subordinates
- Ability to manage multiple projects and facilitate group meetings
- Strong knowledge of D.O.T and O.S.H.A. regulations
- Utilization of all safety rules, regulations and equipment. Ensure safe work environment at all times
Language Skills: Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, SDS Sheets, chemical labels, and other special operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals required for this position. The employee must have the ability to write simple instructions, and to communicate well with others.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate simple math such as adding, subtracting and multiplying, plus fractions and ratios.
Education and/or Experience: Self motivated, able to develop and work as part of a team and process strong management, organizational and communication skills. A proven record of successful hands on Management in a high volume production nursery operation is a must. Will be expected to participate with management in critical development decisions. This position will manage hours to plan, develop measure and monitoring systems to ensure continuous improvement and insure accurate reporting. This position is also responsible for the training and safety of the assigned team. Fluency in Spanish/English is a plus. Must have at least two years experience in distribution/traffic in a management role with a proven ability to schedule, supervise and execute all facets of distribution operations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
May spend a large percentage of time outdoors, exposed to potentially difficult environmental conditions. Maybe subject to irregular work schedules, temperature and weather extremes. May be required to get in and out of cab of commercial vehicle for training purposes, must be able to reach, pull and push. Must be able to perform frequent pushing or pulling of freight weighing up to 1200 lbs. on rolling racks. Must be able to frequently perform carrying freight weighing 3 pounds to 50 pounds of varying size and shape for 50 feet without mechanical aid. Must be able to frequently reach for freight above shoulder level, at waist level and below waist level. Must be able to occasionally reach above shoulder level, at waist level and below waist level for maneuvering and directing the controls to operate the truck and trailer and lift gate. Must be able to operate a lift gate with proper regard for personal safety and the safety of persons in the proximity of the loading and unloading areas. Must be able to load and unload full trailers of freight weighing as much as 50,000 lbs. This type of activity could precede or follow as much as 12 hours of driving. Must be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods on surfaces such as concrete, wood, metal, gravel, asphalt, and sometimes on slippery and wet surfaces. The employee must be able to operate equipment in a safe matter.
The employee may be required to work varying hours including weekends and holidays. Saturdays may be mandatory and must be able to work and finish scheduled shifts.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an outside environment to include heat, cold, sun, rain and various other elements and potentially difficult environmental conditions. The employee must be able to tolerate these conditions. The employee will also be regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee will occasionally be exposed to fumes, chemicals or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to irregular work schedules.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.