Please take note of your desired job title and location clearly listed at the upper left, you'll need to fill that in on your employment application after you click "Apply Now"
Propagation Manager (Troup, Texas)
The propagation Manager directs and coordinates all aspects of facility propagation, ensuring the ideal propagation plan, procuring all raw materials in a timely and cost effective manner, maintaining optimal levels of raw materials for just in time usage, executing propagation plan and delivering quality plants to the growing staff within the specified timelines and dates
Essential duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Ensure the proper production plan has been written
- Work with the growing staff to ensure that proper timings are in the plan
- Analyze actual sales data to ensure proper product mix percentages year round
- Work with facility controller and General manager to help build Propagation Budget
- Weekly tracking of production and harvest units against Budgeted plan.
Manage the Propagation team
- Work with the team to manage labor hours to plan
- Measure and monitor all propagation labor activities
- Ensure continuous improvement programs
- Develops a daily propagation schedule
- Report production and labor metrics in weekly basis
- Report and update labor efficiencies including production units per hour, units moved per hour and labor cost per unit.
- Ensure to stay within labor budget, allocate labor by propagation activity and cost center
- Develop and update in regular basis labor standards and ensure continuous improvement in labor efficiencies
- Conduct Propagation meetings, mentoring the staff on company vision and values
- Work on building and developing Team at all levels
- Work with other Department managers on facility goals
- Work with Technical Service team on Chemicals, fertilizers and growing conditions
- Work with growing team to ensure proper watering and growing activities
- Work with maintenance team to ensure all equipment and greenhouses are properly running
- Ensure that all equipment is running at optimal levels
- Test soil mix on a daily basis for proper balance
- Test irrigation water pH and EC levels in daily basis ensuring proper control
Manage all aspects of Propagation raw material inventory
- Ensure timely request of Raw materials including but not limited to seeds, cuttings, plugs, liners, bulbs, soil & growing media, trays, containers, chemicals, fertilizers and prop supplies.
- Make Purchase req’s and obtain purchase order for all prop materials purchases
- Measure each vendor actual delivery to plan and provide feedback
- Manage the organization and storage of all raw materials including coolers and storage areas
- Manage inventory process of all raw materials
- Ensure proper receiving of all raw materials and seek credits of replacements for inferior quality
- Develop minimum and maximum levels as well as re-order timelines for all raw materials
- Ensure usage of recycled materials whenever is possible
- Ensure continuous reviews and improvement on RM usage and Overhead expenses
Manage Inventories and STO programs IN and OUT
- Manage STO request from facilities
- Manages movements of STOs going and coming on all propagation material
- Ensure proper credit is transferred and received
- Manage inventory value in propagation and provide constant feedback on levels, shortages, surplus, shrink and all inventory balance related issues
- Ensure timely reporting of all production data, expenses and financial information
- Maintain the propagation actual to plan on a daily basis
- Hand in all paperwork the same day it is received
- Measure usage to plan for all raw materials
Responsible for Physical Inventory
Attend BIT meeting, labor meeting, Production recaps, Supply and Demand and other team meetings as scheduled in weekly basis.
Manage all capital Projects in the propagation area
Recommend budget expense levels to General Manager and financial staff
Assist in preparation of long range planning schedule
Ensure the safety of all employees within the supervisory area
Competencies- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of safety rules and regulations
- Demonstrate knowledge of all equipment and machinery in use at this location
- Must be able to use all shop tools and equipment in a safe manner
- Demonstrate attention to detail
- Identify and solve problems in a timely manner
- Respond promptly to requests
- Meet/keep commitments
- Promote quality and accuracy
- Follow Policies and Procedures
- Complete tasks correctly and on time
- Look for ways to promote and improve quality
- Apply feedback to improve performance
- Observe safety and security procedures
- Report potential unsafe conditions
- Ability to work in a fast paced environmental with little or no direction
Qualifications- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/ or ability required.
- Minimum 3 years experience in an operations management level role
- Degree in horticulture or a related field or strong experience in large scale operations
- Strong business, communication, leadership, planning and organizing, as well as conflict management skills
- Strong logistics and planning skills
- Must be able to interact with field operations team and sales team
- Must be a skilled problem solver and be able to work in an intense environment
- Basic Budgeting and accounting knowledge
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with computers and all required software
- Develop and foster team environment
- Bilingual Spanish Preferred, but not required
- Ability to create and design systems to increase overall efficiency. Bring ideas to management and be able to implement changes and improvements effectively
- Ability to create and deliver performance management messages to subordinates
- Ability to manage multiple projects and facilitate group meetings
- Utilization of all safety rules, regulations and equipment. Ensure safe work environment at all times
Language Skills: Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, SDS Sheets, chemical labels, chemical mixing instructions and other special operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals required for this position. The employee must have the ability to write simple instructions, and to communicate.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate simple math such as adding, subtracting and multiplying. Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, carry, push, pull; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, work overhead and talk and hear. The employee will be required to have fine dexterity and motor skills. The employee must frequently be required to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 pounds of items such as flats, pots, containers, equipment etc., of varying size and shape. The employee will be required to frequently kneel, stoop, bend and stand for long periods of time and walk on uneven ground. The employee is occasionally required to sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The employee may be required to wearing personal protective equipment, as required. The employee may be required to work varying hours including weekends and holidays. Saturdays may be mandatory and must be able to work and finish scheduled shifts.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an outside environment to include heat, cold, sun, rain and various other elements and potentially difficult environmental conditions. The employee must be able to tolerate these conditions. The employee will also be regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee will occasionally be exposed to fumes, chemicals or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate. The employee may be subject to irregular work schedules.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Must carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include, interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; holding regular meetings and complying with safety regulations; housekeeping; measuring and monitoring efficiencies; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.